July 01, 2009

Somebunny Has Been Eating My Garden

I was furious last evening when I stepped out to take a look at my garden and found that the bunnies, which I love to see hopping along in the yard, have eaten nearly ALL of my beautiful Asters that were doing so well. They have also eaten my Liriope that were finally starting to take off. Grrr!

I have heard that Marigolds repel rabbits. I don't know if this works, but it was late and I was desparate to protect what little was left so I ran up to the garden center and grabbed some Marigolds to plant along that section of bed.

I have also heard of using pepper spray, which I found at the garden center for nearly $20 a bottle. I found a recipe for homemade pepper spray that I may try:

Pepper Spray
(Found at The Natural Gardener)

1 Tbs Tabasco or habaƱero juice
1 Garlic bulb
2 Tsp Dishsoap
1 Gallon water
Optional: 1 Tbs cayenne pepper

I'll see if the Marigolds work first and go from there. One night down and no additional damage. I hope it doesn't come down to trapping and relocating these little guys, because I really do enjoy seeing them in the yard!

**UPDATE** 7/31/09
I would like to report that no further damage has occured to my Liriope or Asters. I know there are conflicting opinions as to weather or not Marigolds actually keep rabbits away, but so far it seems to be working in my garden!

Now to go after the little guy making lunch of my hostas!

No comments: